To promote active minds by providing opportunities for people to engage in active learning and to share their experiences and knowledge in an open and friendly environment.
- Learning is of benefit to the individual and to the community throughout one’s life.
- Learning in retirement promotes intellectual, physical, emotional and social well-being.
- The experience and expertise of retirees is a valuable resource in the learning process both for group leaders and participants. Peer learning and peer teaching are therefore fundamental to SLR.
- Learning activities must be responsive to the needs and interests of participants both in terms of content as well as in educational processes.
- Learning takes place best in a friendly, sociable, and comfortable environment
- Membership in SLR is open to all.
- Cost to members should be affordable.
- Members in good standing who cannot participate in full can be accommodated by emeritus status.
- Active volunteer participation by all those associated with the organization is encouraged – from managing its affairs through to planning its courses, to carrying out the learning experiences.
- Education collaborations and partnerships with other organizations are beneficial to SLR and to the community.
- SLR is a charitable not-for-profit organization and as such, will not support any particular political, commercial or self-serving activities.
- SLR will be a financially self-sustaining organization relying on charitable donations, grants, membership dues and course fees for revenue, while managing its affairs responsibly to keep expenses at a minimum.