SLR operates 100% on the energy and goodwill of our volunteers.
Board of Directors
- As a registered Not-For-Profit corporation with charitable status we have a Board of Directors, which members elect at the Annual General Meeting. The Directors are responsible for meeting all financial and legal requirements, and for the overall success of SLR.
- There are seven to nine Directors, consisting of the immediate Past-President (chair), current President, Vice-President, Treasurer, Secretary, and up to four Members-at-Large.
- The Board meets as needed throughout the year to plan the budget, report to Canada Revenue, negotiate the accommodation lease, and maintain links with funders and other NFPs.
- The Directors select the committee chairs, troubleshoot issues, explore new initiatives, and review the on-going status and satisfaction of our membership.
The Executive Council, chaired by the President, is responsible for keeping SLR running smoothly on a day-to day basis. The Council consists of the President, Vice-President, Secretary, Registrar, and the Chairs of some of the following committees. The Executive Council usually meets monthly to share information and make decisions.
- Finance & Funding Committee (Board) is responsible for maintaining the budget, fulfilling all government and bank requirements, projecting future monetary needs, and writing proposals.
- Nominating committee (Board) prepares a slate of officers and new board members for Board approval, and then for election by the general membership.
- Studies and Activities Committees meet once or twice a month to plan course content, submit descriptions for the brochure, and secure and train moderators/facilitators.
- Marketing and Communication Committee is responsible for internal and external communications, including brochures, advertising and the website, marketing courses to the membership and London community, and recruiting and retaining members.
- Registrar and assistants handle all registrations, course and member lists.
- Social Committee plans and executes lunches, outings, and other events.
- Research Committee tracks our demographics and advises on future growth and activities.
- Facilities Committee handles the logistics of keeping our classrooms well equipped, accessible and comfortable.
- Volunteer Committee seeks members with the appropriate skills to fill vacancies.
- Various ad hoc committees are convened from time to time to deal with specific issues.
Office and Administration
- The Office and Membership Coordinator, along with assistants, handles the day-to-day queries by phone, email and snail-mail, and all the paperwork.
- The Web- and Tech-Masters are responsible for the website and keeping the computers and A/V equipment in working order.
- The Refreshments Coordinator organizes the coffee and cookie needs.
Moderators and Facilitators
These are members who ensure the smooth running of the courses, maintain the peer-learning mandate, and assist participants with their presentations (if needed).