Our activity groups emphasize learning by doing. Participants meet to pursue a common interest and develop/improve their skills in a hands-on, less formal manner. All activity groups are led by a volunteer member of SLR who has some expertise in the subject.
SLR is pleased to offer the following Activity Groups. Please note that the Activity Group location, number of sessions, registration fees, and additional charges for materials vary. Activity Groups are offered on a first-come, first-served basis. Below is a newly updated list of the activity group choices for the Spring 2014 term at SLR. They are shown in the chart below. A detailed listing follows, beneath the chart. .
|Activity Groups Click Here|
|Mon.||Apr 14 – Jun 9||CRAFT N’ CHAT|
|Mon.||Apr 14 – Jun 9||THE WRITING CIRCLE: MAKING MEMORIES LAST|
|Tues.||Apr 15 – Jun 3||LEARNING TO PLAY THE ALTO RECORDER PART 3|
|Wed.||Apr 16 OR Apr 30||SMALL BALL WORKSHOP|
|Thur.||Apr 17 – Jun 5||BEGINNERS GUITAR COURSE|
|Wed.||May 7 – Jun 4||GARDENS AT LARGE|
|Discussion Groups Click Here|
|Thur.||Apr 17, May 1 May 8, May 15||LET’S TALK TRAVEL|
|Wed. Thur.||Apr 23 May 8||GETTING THE MOST OUT OF YOUR HEALTH CARE APPOINTMENT|
|Interest Groups Click Here|
|Every Other Thur.||Begins Aprl 10||RECORDER ENSEMBLE|
|3rd Thur.||Begins Apr 17||DRUMMING CIRCLE|
|Begins Apr 13||FRIENDS OF THE HIGHLAND|
|1st & 3rd Wed.||Apr 2 – Jun 18||LIVELY POETS’ SOCIETY|
|Fri.||Begins Apr 3||PHOTOGRAPHY CLUB|
|Social Events Click Here|
|Thur.||Apr 24||SPRING LUNCHEON & 20TH ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING|
|Friday||May 23||FASNSHAW PIONEER VILLAGE|
|Monday||Jun 16||STRAWBERRY RHUBARB SOCIAL & LUNCH|
|Wed.||Jul 9||CANADA SINGS Petrolia Theatre Trip|
|Mark Your Calendars Click Here|
|Wed.||Mar 19||SPRING & FALL PROGRAM REVIEW & REGISTRATION|
|Fri.||Apr 18||EASTER HOLIDAY (NO CLASSES)|
|Thur.||Apr 24||ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING & SPRING LUNCH|
|Mon.||May 19||VICTORIA DAY (NO CLASSES)|
To obtain your own detailed listing, you may print this page or you may click on either of two document options: Spring 2014 Activity Groups (pdf) .
SPRING 2014 ACTIVITY GROUPS
Return to Table
1. CRAFT N’ CHAT with Judi Emery Mondays, 12 noon; limited to 11 members; waiting list only April 14 – June 9 Fee: Free with membership plus fee for materials This group enjoys crafts, sharing ideas and recipes, films and speakers, lunches out, occasional road or theatre trips, and community giving.
2. THE WRITING CIRCLE: MAKING MEMORIES LAST with Dan Hyttenrauch Mondays, 9:30 – 11:30 a.m. April 14 – June 9 (8 sessions) Fee: $50; limited to 13 members Join a creative writing class that makes family history fun. Learn how to trigger memories of the people, events, and places important to you, by using old photos, postcards or souvenirs and answering leading questions. Then, turn those memories into short fun-filled reminiscences you can share with family and friends. Leave a literary legacy that captures your life and personal style.
3. LEARNING TO PLAY THE ALTO RECORDER PART 3 with John Morgan Tuesdays, 2:00 – 3:30 p.m. April 15 – June 3 (8 sessions) Fee: $50 This is the final introductory session. We continue with the Hugh Orr book Basic Recorder Technique, Vol.2, and will introduce the soprano recorder. Students purchase their own soprano recorder and the Hugh Orr Book for Soprano Recorder. Students can do self-study with the soprano recorder if interested in joining the SLR Recorder Ensemble in the Fall 2014. A new Alto Recorder course starts in Fall 2014.
4. SMALL BALL WORKSHOP for Strength, Balance and Flexibility In cooperation with the Canadian Centre for Activity & Aging Wednesday, 1:30 – 2:30 April 16 OR April 30 (1 session) Fee: $10.00; limited to 20 SLR members each session) Get on the ball and get fit! In this one-hour workshop you will learn to use small balls to perform a variety of functional exercises at home. Each participant goes home with a small ball and the small-ball exercise picture package. Dress comfortably to exercise on chairs.
5. BEGINNERS’ GUITAR COURSE with Noële Hall Thursdays, 9:30 – 11:00 a.m. April 17 – June 5 (8 sessions) Fee: $50; limited to 10 members Dust off that guitar in the closet, or rent one from Long & McQuade, and bring a music stand. Learn chords and strumming so you can accompany yourself and others while playing great songs from all eras. Learn the basics under the guidance of SLR member and guitarist Noële Hall. We will use a beginner entry level guitar book (TBA). Additional material will be provided.
6. GARDENS AT LARGE with Pat McCabe Wednesdays, 1:30 – 3:30 p.m. May 7 – June 4 (5 sessions) Fee: $25; limited to 11 members This year we will visit gardens to admire the efforts of gardeners, gain inspiration, and, we hope, pick up some valuable tips and advice. Some garden centres are also on the agenda. Space is limited, so sign up early. .
SPRING 2014 DISCUSSION GROUPS
Return to Table
1. LET’S TALK TRAVEL with Judi Emery and Pat Gilpin Thursdays, 11:45 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. April 17, May 1, May 8, May 15 (4 sessions) Fee: $20; limited to 14 members Many SLR members are keen travellers, tackling the challenges of South American rain forests, haggling over prices in Middle East markets, enjoying tea in Sri Lanka, braving Newfoundland’s mists, or enjoying an opera in Toronto. Come share your travel experiences, anecdotes and advice. Discussion topics are selected by the group and may include travel locations, independent travel vs organized tours, booking flights and accommodations.
2. GETTING THE MOST OUT OF YOUR HEALTHCARE APPOINTMENT in cooperation with the South West Self-Management Program Wednesday, April 23 OR Thursday, May 8, 1:30 – 3:00 p.m. Free; maximum 20 SLR members each session Advance sign-up required You are the most important member of your health care team and, as such, need to know what to do before, during and after your healthcare appointments. This interactive workshop covers how to prepare, what questions to ask and how to make sure you understand everything before you leave. Setting an action plan and follow up are keys to healthy living. Support materials will be provided. .
SPRING 2014 INTEREST GROUPS
Return to Table
1. RECORDER ENSEMBLE with John Morgan and Joanne Dallman Meets every other Thursday 2:00 – 3:30 p.m. Begins April 10 Location: Church of St Jude’s, Fanshawe and Adelaide Fee: $15 plus expenses See SLR Recorder Ensemble Blog at http://slrrecorderensemble.blogspot.ca/
2. DRUMMING CIRCLE with Dolly Testa Meets 3rd Thursday of the month off-site Begins April 17 2:00 – 4:00 p.m. Fee: $5 plus expenses paid in advance of first session
3. FRIENDS OF THE HYLAND with Anne Hutchinson and Joanne Dallman Meets 2nd Sunday of each month for early matinee at the Hyland Theatre followed by refreshments and discussion at the Wortley Road House Begins April 13 Fee: $5 plus expenses See SLR Friends of the Hyland Blog at http://slrfriendsofthyland.blogspot.ca
4. LIVELY POETS’ SOCIETY with Pat Patterson and Denise Ritchie Meets the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month April 2 – June 18 (6 sessions) 11:45 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Fee: $5; limited to 14 members Members meet twice monthly to share and discuss poetry and poets. Let’s explore together – dead poets, live poets, ancient poetry, new poetry.
PHOTOGRAPHY CLUB with Jeff Keenor Meets the 1st Thursday of each month Begins April 3 11:45 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Fee: $5 plus expenses; limited to 14 members Open to anyone with a digital camera, any skill level. Share photographs, tips, and techniques, so that all increase their enjoyment of photography. .
SPRING 2014 SOCIAL EVENTS
Return to Table
1. SPRING LUNCHEON AND 20TH ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING Thursday, April 24; 12.00 noon West Haven Golf and Country Club 7083 Egremont Drive Cost: $27 (includes gratuity) Celebrate the end of SLR’s 20th year at the leisurely Spring Luncheon and brief AGM in the lovely surroundings of the West Haven Golf and Country Club. There may even be daffodils in bloom!
2. FANSHAWE PIONEER VILLAGE Tour, Lunch & Optional Walk Friday, May 23; Tour – 10.00 – 11.30 a.m. Tour and lunch: $20 Tickets must be purchased in advance Let’s go back in time and explore how the pioneers lived in this area with a visit to Fanshawe Pioneer Village. An historical interpreter in period costume will lead our tour. Members can experience life in the past in the print shop or carding and spinning. Afterwards enjoy lunch on site, and perhaps walk in the park or just enjoy the lake views.
3. STRAWBERRY RHUBARB SOCIAL & LUNCH Monday, June 16, 12:00 noon Cost: $5; Tickets must be purchased in advance This popular event is hosted by SLR’s Craft n’Chat group. Desserts and cold beverages will be provided (bring your own sandwich if you wish). Bring a lawn chair and enjoy the grounds of Grosvenor Lodge. If it rains, we will move inside. Buy your ticket early to avoid disappointment.
4. CANADA SINGS – The Best Music from Eh to Zed Petrolia Theatre Trip Wednesday, July 9, Matinee, 2:00 p.m. Cost: $55 for theatre and lunch; Theatre only $40 Members provide their own transportation (car pool where possible) Limited to 40 Leonard Cohen once said “music is the emotional life of most people.” Join us for a summer adventure in Petrolia and listen to Canada Sings. Twelve incredible singers will take your breath away with stellar renditions of “Four Strong Winds,” “If You Could Read my Mind,” “Hallelujah,” and so many more. Dine at one of Petrolia’s restaurants for an optional lunch beforehand (reservations necessary). .
SPRING 2014 MARK YOUR CALENDARS
Return to Table
SPRING AND FALL PROGRAM PREVIEW & REGISTRATION Wednesday, March 19, 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 Noon Riverside United Church 451 Dunedin Drive (West of Wonderland on Riverside) Listen to the facilitators describe their courses and activity groups, and be among the first to sign up. Our program previews are lively and fun, with each facilitator trying to convince you that his/her course is the right one for you. A chance to socialize and enjoy free coffee and cookies.
EASTER HOLIDAY (NO CLASSES)| Friday, April 18
20th ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING & SPRING LUNCHEON Thursday, April 24, 12:00 Noon (See Social Events for details)
VICTORIA DAY HOLIDAY (NO CLASSES) Monday, May 19